The history of Camp Humphreys dates back to the beginning of the 20th Century
when, in 1919 the Japanese military built the Pyongtaek Airfield. Later, during the Korean War, Pyeongtaek
Airfield was named K-6 after being repaired and enhanced by the U.S. Air Force
to accommodate a Marine Air Group and the 614th Tactical Control
In 1962 it was renamed Camp
Humphreys in honor of CW0 Benjamin K. Humphreys, a pilot assigned to the 4th
Transportation Company, who died in a helicopter accident.
In 1964 Humphreys District command (later
re-designated as the 23rd Direct Support Group) was activated as a
separate installation command of the Eighth U.S. Army providing all direct
support, supply and maintenance, storage of all conventional ammunition in
Korea, Adjutant General publications and training aides and the Eighth Army
In 1974 with the activation
of the 19th Support Brigade, Camp Humphreys was redesignated as U.S.
Army Garrison, Camp Humphreys.
USAG-Humphreys was still responsible for all affairs affecting personnel
stationed at Camp Humphreys, but the 19th Support Command was
responsible for all support activities vital to the Eighty Army and its
subordinate units. Those units formerly
reporting to the 23rd Direct Support Group reported to the 19th
Support Command in Daegu. Only the basic
functions remained with USAG Humphreys.
Later, the 23rd Direct Support Group and 19th
Support were renamed 23rd Support Group and 19th Theater
Army Area Command. On 17 June 1996 the
United States Army Support Activity Area III (USASA Area III) was established
and made responsible for the peacetime support mission for Camp Humphreys, Camp
Long, Camp Eagle and units assigned to Suwon Airbase.
On 1 June 2005, the U.S. Army announced that Camps Eagle and Long. Both camps were later closed on 4 June 2010, consolidating installation support activities on Camp Humphreys.
With the creation of the
Installation Management Command on 24 Oct. 2006 the US Army Support Activity Area III was
redesignated as US Army Garrison Humphreys and Area III on March 15, 2007.