Phone Call, How to
Instructions on how to call phone numbers in USAG-Humphreys Korea
CALLING DSN NUMBERS FROM STATE SIDE
- To call Korea from the US: 011-82 + area code minus '0' number
- 011-82-31-619-XXXX (for a 754 prefix)
- 011-82-31-690-XXXX (for a 753 prefix)
- USFK information from the U.S. (commercial): 011-82-2-7913-1110 or 1113
- The area code is not needed for local calls, unless using a cell phone.
- To call a commercial number from a DSN line, first dial '99'.
- Do NOT accept collect calls on a DSN line.
CALLING DSN NUMBERS IN KOREA
- To dial a DSN number from a civilian phone
FOR DSN 753 PREFIX dial 0503-353-XXXX or 031-690-XXXX
FOR DSN 754 PREFIX dial 0503-354-XXXX or 031-619-XXXX
- To dial an Air Force Installation you must dial a civilian prefix
Kunsan AB dial 063-470-XXXX, Osan AB dial 031-661-XXX, Suwon AB dial 031-220-XXXX
ANATOMY OF AN INTERNATIONAL PHONE NUMBER
- 011 + Country Code + City Code + Number
- 011 = International call from the U.S.
- 82 = Country Code
- City Code:
- Buson = 51
- Daegu = 53
- Seoul = 2
- Pyeongtaek/Osan = 31
- Cell phones = 10 or 11
- Number is typically an eight digit number
Google: "South Korea Telephone country codes" for more city codes.
CALLING KOREAN CELL PHONE NUMBERS FROM THE US
- To call a cell phone, if the number is "010-1234-5678"
- Cell phone prefixes are 010 or 011, drop the first number in the three digit prefix before adding it to "011-82"
ABOUT CELL PHONES
- American mobile phones do not work in Korea. There are some cell phones that may be converted to use back in the US. Buy a used cell phone from someone who is leaving or at one of the many stores outside the walk-through gate. New cell phones may be purchased at the shops in the PX, USO or off-post. Make sure the model you purchase has an English display option.
- Cell phone belong to their own network (011, 016, 019, etc), so you must always us the prefix or area code when calling to or from a cell phone.
- To use the phone, buy pre-paid calling cards at phone purchase locations, minimum 10,000₩, which is good for 30 days. Any amount remaining at the end of that period will expire unless more time is purchased for the phone. The remaining balace will then roll over and be added to the new purchase. If the phone is not reprogrammed with call time within 30 days the phone number will expire and it will have to be sent in to be refitted with a new number.
ABOUT VOIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol)
- VOIP services like Vonage, Broadvoice, MagicJack and Skype will not work with the local ISP provider on post (post housing).
- These services did work off post depending on the quality of service and broadband speeds.